Wednesday 21 January 2009

Milk, Two Sugars and a Lifetime of Addictions

Welcome back loyal followers. Firstly I’d like to apologise for the lack of Blogging in 2009. This is due to many reasons, the main one being my alcoholism; over the last few weeks if I haven’t been drinking I’ve been sleeping, so there hasn’t been much time to Blog. But do not panic, because I have returned. Recently, between my trips to and from the bar I have been contemplating what I should next discuss on my Blog and not too long ago I had a revelation about the amount of addiction in England and why it comes about, so here it is;

As we all know this once great country England has a major problem with addiction. There’s no point denying it, we all know it’s true. Our population is addicted to tobacco, alcohol, cannabis (yes, it’s not physically addictive but we all know it’s mentally addictive), coke, smack and all that other good stuff. But where does this addiction come from? Why do we seem predisposed to having at least one of these addictions? Well don’t fear because I have come to the conclusion. And many of my English brethren will not be happy with the explanation, because I’m placing the blame on one of countries most loved drinks; tea!

I am an avid tea drinker, which is one of the main reasons I’m taking aim at what I once called “the main cornerstone of British society” and also “the reason that Britain is Great”. I have met many non-English people in my time and none of them seem to understand the love us Brits have for tea. I try to explain it, but I’m unable to, usually I just go for the old; “get out of my country if you don’t like tea” argument.

I know what you’re thinking; “Tea isn’t addictive”. But you are wrong. I understand it’s unlikely that anyone has ever been out sucking dick or selling their body for a handful of PG Tips, but it’s still addictive. It’s just an acceptable and overlooked addiction. The thing about tea is the addiction starts as soon as you wake up, I’m sure most of you reading this start the day with a nice cup of tea to get you ready for the day, you may think it’s just the way to start the day but the fact is, you NEED that cup of tea, you just don’t know it, until now.

I have often raised this question to my friends; “If you had to go the rest of your life without one of these things; weed, pills, beer or tea, which would it be?” More often than not people say tea, but then I tell them to really think about it and then they with tract their first answer and reconsider.

Unlike other addictive substances, everyone that’s addicted to tea instantly becomes a dealer of tea. This doesn’t happen with any other drug on such a large scale. How often have you been at someone’s house and they offer you a cup of tea? Compared to the amount of times they’ve offered you a joint or a line of coke or a hit on their crackpipe.

The point I’m attempting to make is that tea becomes an addiction for us and it stays with us for our entire life. Drinking tea makes you susceptible to other addictions later in life. I’m a perfect example and so are most of my friends. In no way am I telling people to stop drinking tea, I’d never do that. I just want people to realise that making a brew is not much different than cooking up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I prefer Coffee, strong fucking coffee.