Monday 13 July 2009

It's all slanguage now, innit?

Language is a complicated thing. It like us, it has evolved over time. But it seems to me that older generations don’t, excuse me do not like this. For an example, I was recently in a shop and two young boys were chatting in ear shot of me and an old woman.

One of the lads said “Innit”, and the old woman turned to them and said something along these lines; “Excuse me young man, don’t say that word. It is not English, you should speak correctly.” The boy looked bemused at the old woman, as if to say “what the fuck you on about”.

She went on to explain that ‘innit’ should be pronounced properly; “isn’t it”. This is where I decided to chirp up and defend the boys.

I said to the lady; “Excuse me, but it’s not ‘isn’t it’, is it?”
“Yes, it is.” She responded.
“No it’s not.” I replied.
“Well it certainly isn’t ‘innit’, is it?” She asked.
“’Innit’ is the evolution of ‘isn’t it’, but still ‘isn’t it’, isn’t the correct word anyway.” I explained.
“Well what is it then?” She asked.
“Is it not.” I told her.
“Not what?” She asked.
“No, ‘innit’ is ‘isn’t it’, which in turn started out as ‘is it not’!” I attempted to explain. “So if you’re going to complain about the way these young boys speak, I’m going to complain to you about you not speaking correctly.” I continued.

After that the conversation got a little heated and lets just say the old lady had a little fall while me and the two lads ran out of the shop ... with her hand-bag.

Anyway, back to the point of language changing. It’s bound to happen, and while middle-aged, middle-class people think it is a bad thing, it is far from that. The way they talk is extremely different from the way people spoke in Shakespearian time, which proves that language has evolved.

So will people please stop with this bullshit, if young people want to say ‘innit’, just let them. It has nothing to do with you. It doesn’t matter if nobody was saying it when you were a child. Nobody was saying words or phrases such as “email” or “Google it”, but that doesn’t stop you from saying them now, does it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.